The Sainte-Anne’s Hospital for Veterans is a complex consisting of buildings built between 1940 and 1970. Since the original construction of these facilities, healthcare has changed dramatically – patient demographics, technology, equipment, the way healthcare teams collaborate, and the general approach to patient care. The condition of the buildings and the desire to offer patients, visitors and staff hospital facilities that supported their well-being, led to a massive modernization project to renovate and refurbish the hospital buildings and bring them up to provincial standards.
"Many managers of aging healthcare facilities are beginning to see the benefits of changing old buildings into innovative and green healthcare environments. This is exactly what happened with Ste-Anne's Hospital …where clients and [the architectural team] designed a long-term psychiatric-geriatric facility that feels like a contemporary home rather than a typical healthcare institution."
This project was undertaken in multiple phases, which included the construction of a new thermal power plant, an electrical substation and a 132-bed residential care annex adapted to the needs of older patients; the redevelopment of ten floors in the main pavilion tower (330 beds), common areas, and food services; as well as the renovation of the old Edith Temple Pavilion.
The vision for this project was to create a more welcoming facility that supports health and well-being in a supportive environment. This was achieved through the application of modern healthcare design principles, sensitivity to the needs of the hospital population and respect for sustainable practices.