Western Manitoba Cancer Centre, Brandon, Manitoba
The Western Manitoba Cancer Centre provides radiation therapy, chemotherapy and outpatient care for residents of Western Manitoba. The facility includes the following functional areas:
- a central waiting area and reception for all patients
- a clinic area consisting of four exam rooms, a central clinic control area, a multidisciplinary workroom, a group room and a rounds room
- chemotherapy and radiation therapy departments, including patient stations, a stretcher bay, a full isolation room, a full treatment-planning department, Philips CT, and a state-of-the-art Varian Linear Accelerator
- staff support spaces as well as areas for volunteers, who provide valuable services to patients and staff
- a supportive care area including offices for a pharmacist and a dietitian as well as support services for emotional, social and spiritual health for patients and their families, including an outdoor garden
The strategy was to create a simple, elegant, cost-effective structure with ample light and restful, therapeutic views. Expansive views and windows into the courtyard, combined with clerestory windows, maximize daylight throughout the public spaces. The building is simply zoned into four quadrants and organized around a central landscaped zone, facilitating ease of wayfinding. Landscaping provides a linear element extending north to south into and through the building. Staff and patients have a direct view into the garden from all treatment spaces.